Tuesday 28 April 2015

Bugger it all!

Bugger it all! It’s just so unfair!
Sometimes it seems more than one can bear.

How can a little child be so fragile?
So easily broken?
Children living with leukaemia: it’s all so sad.
Or born with aids – what chance do they have?
In third world countries living in filth and war;
Hunger, disease and even more...
And yet you still see them laughing and playing on the tv...

And now I’m saying just words.
And you glaze over. Yes you!
Bugger you too!
This could so easily affect you!

Illness strikes everyone
Sometimes.
And we recover, yes I know.
But some do not..
In and out of hospital is their lot.
Never completely free of pain.
The unfairness of it all is so insane.
And yet in their serenity they do not complain.

To see someone who is so brave
So quick to smile, so well behaved
So unassuming,  calm and yet seemingly unafraid.
I am awed.

The world is so much a richer, more worthwhile place,
With wonderful kids like these.
But that does not make it right anywhere,
It only exacerbates the unfair.

Now, I’m not asking you to be sad and moribund,
Or dash off to start a charity fund.
Or dedicate yourself to finding a cure.
What do I want? I’m not sure.
I don’t know.
Perhaps all I want is to rant and shout,
Have a chance to let my feelings out.
But then what’s left but to declare..
Bugger it all – it’s so unfair!

No comments:

Post a Comment