Tuesday 21 April 2015

Each story is but a hero's journey

Each story is but a hero’s journey
But there is no hero here.
Well, we hoped for one
But he didn’t come.
And there’s not much of a story left;
Just an ending.

My end will come swiftly.
That’s what they say.
A convulsion, a shaking tremor..
Will there be time for me to feel any pain?
Panic? Again, I know not... but it’s all the same..

It is so idyllic here.
Miles from roads and lanes and even tracks..
No traffic, no civilisation I have retired to such peace.
I love this place and would choose no other
I get a bit lonesome, but where others might choose to have lots of people around
I prefer to be alone. At any rate.
And I have so much, so much to contemplate.

The sun doesn’t know. It is warm and bright and reassuring.
The animals and birds don’t know
And I enjoy their company, their chatter, their everyday patter;
Happily all about and around me they are.

The view stays the same.
The trees, the fields, stretching to the hill
Over which I know there is a sea, constantly moving and shushing against the shore.
The sea doesn’t know. But it will.

I don’t know why they called it hero.
Seems a strange choice of name.
To begin with it was just called XTP4771.
I preferred that.
It should have been called plague or pestilence.
It does not matter how all this happened..  not now.
I did a lot of why-me-ing in the early days
But I can now be stoic.
The acceptance is about complete.

My needs are simple.
I have enough food to last me for these last few months.
Tins, jars, pickles and fruit.
And the garden is blooming with produce.
There’s always soup.
And the well gives me fresh water.

No tv. No radio. No e-mail or phone.
I do not need the news.
Above all. I do not need the news.

The swimming pool gets a bit dirty
 I clean it every day.
But the filter doesn’t work any more anyway.

They’ve tried to find a cure.
The famous minds
They can create the genome; see  quarks.. but they haven’t a clue.
They’ve tried nuclear blast on the moon
But the cracks they created don’t help...

November 19th 2018.
That’s a date to remember,
Not for the thanksgiving..
I have nothing to be thankful for.
Just the past.
And that won’t last.

They even know the time.
4.27 GMT. And that will just be the countdown.
There will be no newspaper to tell the doom.
And chaos will prelude the end of the world I assume.
As hero hits the moon.
They probably know by now the exact time that the worlds will collide.
But, if you’ll excuse me; I’ll just reside.
Here.
With my peace and my tranquillity base.

I can imagine others. Just like me. Waiting.
And the turmoil, the violence, the anger and confusion
The profusion of disillusion.         
But I thank God it doesn’t reach me.

God.... Now there’s a thing.
I don’t think a lot of him.
But I am sure he carries a lot of the blame.
He sent the flood – now hero’s the name.




No comments:

Post a Comment