Tuesday 14 April 2015

Remember this place, I remember it well

Remember this place – I remember it well.
My mum worked in that Tesco’s a long time ago
(It was one of the first)
But they’ve moved it, down a bit, it wasn’t  there.
Mr Cohen was the owner and he always
Remembered her name.  So she would say.

There’s a bank further down on the other side,
Where I first worked;
It’s not there any more, they sell furniture goods now.
And another where I worked upstairs
And met my future wife.
And love at last entered my life.

Market day; the cinema (Chitty Chitty Bang);
84 bus; Wimpy Bar; Golden Egg;
Library (it’s an up-market pub conversion)
Park, Roman Wall; Cathedral too (no conversion there).
It has not really changed a lot I’d say,
But I have now long lived, far away.

Just around the corner here
Was the Barclays Bank the IRA blew up.
I didn’t live here then
But the sound that blast made still echoes when  –  we remember.

WHS on that corner was my favourite shop;
Over there, that’s where I bought my first record player;
Opposite that was Foster’s where I had measured for my first suit... did I ever wear it?
And there... well, I could go on....
It’s all as clear as a bell.
I remember this place - I remember it well.

See? In that shop doorway..
We used to snuggle against the cold... just up the road and turn left you’ll see
Catherine Street; where I got down on one knee.
Don’t  count the years, it doesn’t matter now;
The love still echoes  –  when I remember.

And only a few weeks ago; oh yes!
I often come back to this place.
In that jewellers there
I bought my new love a ring.
See?
Time doesn’t change anything.




No comments:

Post a Comment