Friday 10 April 2015

Now, do I know my birds?

Now, do I know my birds?...
Well, I can recognise a robin, a sparrow, a blackbird and blue tit too.
On your bird table
That much I’m able
And I love to see a kestrel or a kite
Hovering, gliding, eagle-like.  
But I do not know which it is.

There’s something magic about hearing birdsong at dawn,
But I can’t say whether I can tell the difference
Between the blackbird call or skylark or the warbler.

Magpies are unlucky if you see only one.
The sound a woodpecker makes is very clear.
The first cuckoo of spring must be getting near.

That’s a thrush. That one I know.
But whether it’s mistle or songthrush
Or it could be a fieldfare or redstart.

That’s a finch. No probs, it’s a cinch.
But whether bull, chaff or haw... I wouldn’t know what I saw.
Greenfinch is probably green.
Goldfinch is probably gold.
But then apparently there are linnets and redpoll too
That’s enough to confuse you.

That’s a starling. Pigeons are pests.
Owls are beautiful but they won’t really go to-whit-too-woo..
(and let’s face it, neither would you...)

That’s a sparrow.  Oh yes!
But then dunnock knows which one it is..



No comments:

Post a Comment